Tuesday 7 May 2013

It's not just the the Mums who change...




How fatherhood transforms men...for the better! 






Before I had kids, I had a 30 inch waist and weighed 12st. I'd spend most evenings in the pub – and vowed that's where I would be, smoking a big fat cigar, on the day my wife gave birth, should I ever become a father. My nickname amongst my friends was 'Killer' because of my impetuous personality.


Fast forward 10 years and I barely recognise the man I used to be. I've got a gut a darts player would be proud of; the pub is a Once Every Blue Moon memory – and I find myself crying when kids get booted off the X Factor.

But the biggest surprise of all – to me at least – was where I was the day my first son was born: right there at the business end, like a rugby player at the back of the scrum, ready to catch my baby when he came out.

That's what fatherhood has done to me. Damn you, fatherhood! I'm joking, of course.



I presumed all of these changes were just part of getting older. But according to research, it's fatherhood that mellows us men, not just the ageing process. It's fatherhood that gives us health, empathy and comfort in our own skin. In a nutshell, being a Dad rules! OK?

Click below to read further the article by Keith Kendrick

No comments:

Post a Comment