Monday 12 August 2013

How To Deal With Your Child’s Growing Pains



What causes growing pains, when to worry, and what to do when your kid complains of achy limbs.




“Mommy, I can’t feel my legs,” my three-year-old son said to me one night.
“What?!” I asked, trying to stay calm.
“I can’t feel my legs, and I think there are spiders in them. It hurts.” Brock was lying on the floor, clutching his shins, while his eight-year-old brother, Connor, stood there laughing at him. I reminded Connor that he said something very similar when he was younger, too.
Discomfort in both legs – usually in the front of the thighs or shins, or sometimes behind the knees – is often chalked up to growing pains. (That’s what my mom always told me, anyway. I had them, too.)
Contrary to popular belief, however, this kind of pain isn’t necessarily related to growth spurts, says Peter Nieman, a community paediatrician in Calgary. Growing pains are most common at night, in very active children between the ages of three and five, and then again from eight to 12.

To read this article from Today's Parent please click on the link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment