Friday 24 July 2015

Cutting the Cord in The Delivery Room.




If you've just become a father for the first time and the midwife asks if you'd like to cut the umbilical cord, what's your reaction?

Some dads might jump at the chance of having that moment with their newborn, but others may be more comfortable letting the midwife and nurses do it for them. Neither way is wrong.

But what would you choose?


umbilical cord



One father has shared his experiences on Reddit.
He asked the community:
"When my first daughter was born they asked if I wanted to, and I declined. They seemed surprised.
"It had nothing to do with lack of love and affection for my child, I'm just more comfortable letting the doctors and nurses do their thing. What's your opinion?"
He soon started getting replies including one from a dad who was writing on the thread just hours after cutting his child's cord.



  1. boxofrain
    It was like cutting a goddamned bungee cord and I loved every second of it.


  1. Astro1909
    exact same way i feel about it. you put the baby there you might as well make sure it can get out u know. i cant wait to do it in 2 months its probably the second thing I'm looking most forward to other than actually holding her in my arms for the very first time.



lantheria
  1. i cut my daughter's cord, as i was hoping to. i was surprised at how tough the thing was, actually. it was like there was a guitar string in the middle.

  1. fatbastard79
    I cut the cord and it was pretty cool. Like cutting through thick wet rope
  1. jonathanrT
  2. I cut my son's cord two hours ago. Seriously. It's a BOY! 


  1. [Anon]

    My father told me it's like cutting the inner tube of a bicycle tire. He was not far off. It was also the first of many awesome things that I've gotten to do with/because of my daughter.


  1.  Some others didn't see the appeal (or were too nervous to do it):




just_run

I was given the option, but chose not to. I don't really see the appeal.


  1. [Anon]

    I cut on the first one didn't intend to but the doctor and nurses pretty much made me. During the second one things got complicated and scary and I was way too much of a wreck to even hold a pair of scissors.


  1. hobbes9
    With both kids I was given the opportunity. First was a c-section, second was a very quick natural birth. With the second, I remember my words exactly.
    "No, no way. Definitely not. No."
    I got some funny looks too, but I think it was more out of amusement from my reaction.


  1. RaisingMN

    I let me mother-in-law have the "honors" for both of my children. To me, gnawing through the cord with a pair of garden shears held no appeal. Staff didn't seem phased.


This guy was on the thread at the right time, but probably should've been by his wife's side instead..



  1. [Anon]
    I'm waiting in the waiting room, a few hours away from cutting my daughter's cord!



Either way, it's completely down to you dads...


This article is taken from HuffingtonpostUK


We think this news story will be of interest to our visitors. However, please note it is from another source and does not necessarily represent the views of Oxondads.  If you would like to comment on this article please click on the "No Comments" below or alternatively E-Mail  info@oxondads.co.uk






No comments:

Post a Comment